It’s hard to write out a plan and then come back to it months or a year later and think what the hell was I smoking. But, for the future when I look back at this, I wasn’t smoking anything. Just naturally delusional.
This years goals reflect that I’m terrible at sticking with the books I think I’m going to read. So I’m only listing 4 books. Then I would like to actually write some blog entries, and remember things about the things I read and worked on last year, so I listed out a lot of posts I would like to write.
Books to Read
- Finish Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (The Wizard Book)
- Discrete Math and Functional Programming
- Operating Systems: Three Easy Pieces
- Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software
Posts to Write
- Book Reviews:
- Anger, Madness and the Daimonic: The Psychological Genesis of Violence, Evil and Creativity
- The Organization Man
- Violence and the Sacred
- The One by Whom Scandal Comes
- The Scapegoat
- Skin in the Game: Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life
- The Black Swan
- The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
- Deceit, Desire, and the Novel: Self and Other in Literary Structure
- Any other books I read etc.
- Technical Posts
- Clojure, sequences part 2
- SQL Server - Tables & Indexes
- SQL Server - Statistics
- SQL Server - SARGABLE Queries
- SQL Server - Transactions
- SQL Server - Tempdb & temp objects
- SQL Server - Query Execution
- SQL Server - Query Analysis
- Building and Running Clojure From Source
- Concurrency - Thread Pools
- Concurrency - Async code and the TPL in C#
- Concurrency - Things to watch for
- Macros in Clojure
- A Survey of MongoDB
- A Survey of Redis
- Summary of Girard’s mimetic theory and the origin of myth and religion
- Summary of Anger, Madness and the Daimonic …
- Summary of what Taleb is saying in Black Swan, Skin in the Game, and Antifragile
- Finish SICP exercises (Clojure/Scheme)
- RSS project (web based RSS reader)
- Monkey implementation in Clojure and F#
- Be able to run 5 miles
- Weight to 180 lbs.
- Only buy 10 books! (Read the old ones)
There’s a few goals I dragged over from the 2019 list, because I still want to do them. Overall the technical stuff is still working on the base to be able to better understand programming languages and compilers, realizing that it will take some time with other things going on.
I also have a parallel track not related to the technical which leaked through into some of the blog posts I’d like to write. I’m not sure where this track is going, but there are going to be some books fighting with the ones on the list here. So we’ll see what happens in 2020.
© Copyright 2021, Tyler Rhodes